Making eating healthy on a budget easier than ever.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Green Smoothie Recipe

In the world of extreme health, juicing is becoming really popular. My problem is that juicing is expensive. In addition to buying a juicer (which is several hundred dollars), the amount of fruit and vegetables you have to put in to get one glass of juice is expensive. Also, juices have no fiber. For that reason, I have settled on green smoothies as a more budget friendly and filling substitute. Now, I know you're thinking this sounds really gross, but just try it. Even my husband really likes these. I always feel great starting my morning with a cup of vegetables and a cup to two cups of fruit.

Some people recommend not making these with fruit juice, but these are usually people with really expensive blenders. I make these with my cheap one-portion-size blender I bought at Wal-Mart in college. If you want to omit the juice, you can use water, but it won't taste as sweet. 

Ingredients:
1 to 2 hand-fulls of baby spinach (According to taste. Start with one hand full and then add more gradually. After a couple months, I shove as much spinach into there as my blender will hold.)
6 ounces of orange juice
1/2 to 1 banana (according to taste)
Optional: a teaspoon of honey, 1/2 cup of your favorite frozen fruit, 1/2 cup of yogurt

Usually, I use one whole banana if I am not adding other fruit and only 1/2 a banana if I am adding other fruit.

Combine the orange juice and spinach in a blender and blend until the smooth. Add banana and any optional ingredients (yogurt, other fruit, honey) and blend again until smooth. Drink up!

No comments:

Post a Comment