Making eating healthy on a budget easier than ever.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Week 5 Food Costs: $50

I'm back! I had lots of craziness in my life with family illnesses that prevented me from blogging. I did come up with some great strategies to get through those times on a budget and I will post about that later. Meanwhile, here is our menu and grocery list for this week:

Breakfast: Green Smoothie (tasty, quick, fruit AND vegetables in the morning!)
Lunch (about 3 days): Mediterranean Salad with Chicken
Lunch (about 2 days): Bacon, Tomato, Avocado Sandwich with Sweet Potato Fries
Other 2 days of lunches will be leftovers from dinner

Dinner: Pasta with Broccoli and Pesto
Dinner: Sopa de Lima with Quesedillas
Dinner: Chicken Stir Fry (2 days)
Dinner: Chicken Broccoli Parmesean
Dinner: Salmon Cakes with Brussel Sprouts and Spring Vegetables
Dinner: Tamales with Refried Beans

I am doing a low-carb crash diet for three days this week (salad for lunch, chicken stir fry, chicken broccoli parmesean, and salmon cakes for dinner). If you don't want to do low-carb, simply add rice and pasta to these meals, for an extra week's cost of about $2 to $3.

Grocery list:
Cilantro
5 tomatoes
1 avocado
ginger
Romaine lettuce (I bought the bagged because the store was out of the heads, but the heads are MUCH cheaper)
1 cucumber
6 bananas
1 bag spinach
3 to 5 long green chile peppers or poblano peppers
1 jalapeno
2 large heads of broccoli
1 red bell pepper
1 package of snow peas
a few oranges (for snacks)
1 pound of chicken breasts
frozen brussel sprouts
frozen "spring vegetables" (get whatever kind of frozen vegetables you like)
frozen bag of sweet potato fries
Can of black beans
Can of pinto beans
Can of diced tomatoes
Box of chicken broth
Orange juice
Shredded cheddar cheese
1 rotisserie chicken

From my pantry: parmesean cheese, 1 box pasta, 1/2 jar pesto sauce, 1/2 package bacon, sandwich bread, tortillas, olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, soy sauce, 1/2 jar spaghetti sauce, 1 can salmon, 1 onion, garlic salt, crushed red pepper flakes, mayonnaise, mustard, tamales (my mom makes tamales for me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment