Making eating healthy on a budget easier than ever.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Invest in Staples

A big part of consistently eating on $5 per person per day and limiting how much eating out you do is to have enough meals that have lots of flavor and don't feel like you are eating on a budget or being deprived. Not eating out as much has been the hardest part of our journey to lower our food costs. My husband and I do have one date night a week where we go out to dinner, but other than that, we eat at home now.

To have a lot of flavor variety in your meals, you need to invest in some flavor staples that you can combine to go in any meal. Here is a list of flavor staples that I think are important:

1. Spices. The spices I use most and always have on hand are garlic salt, chili powder, ground cumin, cinnamon, Italian seasoning, dried oregano, dried parsley, dried basil, dried dill, and lemon pepper. Figure out what spices you love most, and invest in keeping them in stock in your kitchen. When buying spices, always check between brands to find the best deal.

2. Asian Flavors. We eat a lot of stir fry and Asian-inspired dishes. Consequently, I always have in my kitchen soy sauce, lime juice, and Siracha (or chili garlic) sauce.

3. Keepin' It Hot. My husband and I love spicy food. In addition to Siracha, we always have Tabasco and Cholula hot sauce. I add it to beans, chili, soups, or use it to marinade meat.

4. Canned Goods. I try to keep canned tomatoes and a variety of canned beans in my pantry that I can add to soups, pastas, or to round out a meal.

5. Starches. I try to keep some kind of starch in my pantry in case I get cooking and then decide that I don't have enough food in our meal to satisfy us. I keep rice, pasta, and cornmeal for polenta all the time. Adding these items to a meal keeps the cost of the meal down and can stretch a meal to be more servings.

6. Sandwich Fixings. I always keep spicy brown mustard (my favorite) and mayonnaise in the refrigerator to make a good sandwich or to add as flavorings in a meal. Mustard goes great on roasted vegetables!

Always having these items on hand will keep you from heading out to grab some fast food when you think you have nothing to cook with. Add the things that you will use regularly to your pantry slowly (may 2 to 4 items per week) to avoid raising your grocery bill too much at once.

What are the staples that are always in your kitchen?

No comments:

Post a Comment