Making eating healthy on a budget easier than ever.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Butternut Squash and Spinach Risotto

I actually got this recipe from Shape Magazine. It tastes so rich but is so healthy and cheap to make. The total cook time is about an hour, but it is only about 15 minutes of active cooking time.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
3 cups butternut squash, cubed
1/2 onion, diced
10 sage leaves
1/2 cup barley
5 ounces baby spinach
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Serves 2

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Add some oil to a dutch oven (or in my case, I used the glassware from my crock pot), and saute the onion, squash, sage, salt and pepper for about 5 minutes. Add barley and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil.

Cover the pot with a lid, transfer to oven, and bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven, stir in spinach and Parmesan.

I had never made risotto before, but this risotto alternative was very easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment