Making eating healthy on a budget easier than ever.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Roasted Vegetables with Polenta

Tonight for dinner, I made delicious roasted vegetables with polenta. Healthy, cheap, and about to be husband-approved. And requires very little active cooking time. There is so much flavor and texture that you don't notice you are missing meat.

Ingredients:
1/4 red cabbage head, julienne (sliced thinly)
2 cups cauliflower chopped
1 cup butternut squash chopped (I spend the extra money to buy the squash already chopped. I am not good with a knife, and it only took almost killing myself once trying to chop one for me to decide to eternally spend the extra money for it pre-chopped.)
Canola oil
Garlic salt, ground cumin, spicy brown mustard to taste (or any other spices that you like)
1/2 cup corn meal
2 cups water
1 cup canned black beans

Serves 2

Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees. Add your vegetables to a big bowl, add canola oil, and your desired spices. I added mustard because I feel that cauliflower and cabbage need some sweetness to mellow out their natural bitterness for me to eat them. (I can't eat raw cauliflower or cabbage). Stir to combine the oil, spices, and vegetables. Pour onto a sheet pan and roast for 20 minutes, stirring half way through.

Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil with some salt. Mix 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup cornmeal. Add to boiling water, stirring constantly. After the mixture thickens, turn heat to low, cover, and let cook for 5 more minutes.

Serve vegetables with polenta and some warmed black beans. If you need some added protein, you could easily serve this along side some meat that you grill while the vegetables roast.

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, this was one of the favorite things I made that week. Definitely a go-to for the future. You can use any kinds of vegetables with it too...whatever is in season.

    ReplyDelete