Making eating healthy on a budget easier than ever.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Note on Animal Protein

You may notice on this blog that I don't make a lot of meals that have a big portion of animal protein in them. Really, there are two reasons for this:

1. Personal Taste- I very rarely crave a big piece of chicken breast or steak for dinner. It's more of a special occasion treat than an everyday craving.
2. Cost- Animal protein can be expensive to buy.

In my house, we have, on average, one meal a day without animal protein, sometimes two. This helps us keep our grocery costs down. Instead of animal protein, I spend this extra money on fruits and vegetables. In the meal without animal protein, I include a plant protein, usually beans or nuts. I don't buy a lot of soy or tofu either. I don't care for it, and there are mixed ideas about how healthy or unhealthy processed soy is.

Also, in the meals that include animal protein, it is very rarely a breast of chicken or a steak along with a side. I try to stretch my animal protein dollars very far by using meat as a component of a meal instead of the star of the meal. For example, I would make a stir fry with vegetables and half a chicken breast per person instead of one large chicken breast and some vegetables on the side per person.

Being creative about stretching your meat into several meals and including one vegetarian meal a day can help you eat healthfully on less than $5 per person per day.

Leave a comment about how you use meat in a healthy and cheap menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment