Making eating healthy on a budget easier than ever.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Halibut Mediteranean Stew

It's a special dinner tonight! Halibut is my favorite fish, but even frozen, it is pretty expensive. I paid $1 per ounce for my frozen bag of it. But, I can afford a few special ingredients per week because I don't buy junk food.

Ingredients:
12 ounces halibut
2 cans diced tomatoes (I bought one can of the garlic diced, and one can of the fennel and red pepper flavor)
1 bulb fennel, sliced (if you don't have fennel, just use an onion)
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 cup chopped bell peppers (I bought the bag of baby sweet bell peppers because it was cheaper)
Barley (or rice)

Serves 2 dinners and 2 smaller lunches

Prepare barley or rice according to package directions.

Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add your fennel (or onion), bell peppers, salt, and pepper, and let it cook until it browns on one side. Then stir, and let it brown on the other side.

Meanwhile, chop your halibut into large bite-size pieces. Add the halibut, canned tomatoes, and garlic to your pan. Cover, and cook until the halibut is done, about 10 minutes. Serve over barley or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment