Making eating healthy on a budget easier than ever.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Red Beans and Rice

You don't get cheaper, healthier, easier or tastier on a cold night than red beans and rice. I usually make red beans and rice on weeks when I want to have an expensive meal (like my halibut) because it is so cheap to make and keeps my grocery costs down while being delicious.

Ingredients:
2 cups dried red beans, soaked over night
1 cup dried rice
1 chopped onion
3 cloves chopped garlic
Tabasco to taste
dried chili pepper to taste (I usually do 2 Tablespoons)
3 cups water
sausage or bacon, sliced (optional)

Soak your beans over night the night before you want to make this recipe.

Put beans, chopped onion, garlic, water, salt, chili pepper, and sausage/bacon in your crock pot. Turn on high to cook in 4 hours or low to cook in 8 hours.

Cook rice according to package directions. Serve beans over rice with Tabasco sauce and bread for dipping.


No comments:

Post a Comment